If you suffer from neck pain then you also have felt those painful knots that form in the upper trapezius and levator scapula muscle.
These muscles make up the part of our shoulder where the neck and Shoulder meet with each other
Trigger points here can cause pain tension and muscular spasm of the neck and shoulders
There are many treatments for releasing trigger points in the upper trapezius and levator scapulae muscles such as massage of trigger points. Electrical stimulation and ultrasound have also been used to break up knots but scientific evidence says that these are not as helpful so currently they are not in use for treatment.
Different exercises such as stretching of neck muscles can also help to relieve the neck knots most importantly maintain a proper posture for keeping the symptoms depressed
One of the most modern treatments for treating neck and Shoulder knots is Kinesiology tape
What Is Kinesiology Tape
It is the type of most recent and modern physical therapy treatment that can be used to release the knots of muscles. Kinesiology tape helps with muscular contraction decrease swelling and also controls the pain it is also used for treating fluid retention in the body
It can also be used to lift the skin away from underlying tissues which then increase circulation and release muscular spasms. It helps to decrease trigger points and knots as well in trapezius and levator muscles when you have neck pain.
For decreasing the trigger points and notes in your trapezius and levator muscles a specific type of tape strip is used called a lifting strip or also bandage strip.
Before using kinesiology tape by yourself you must consult your healthcare provider or a physical therapist so that they can evaluate your injury properly this treatment is not for everyone and if the tape is applied incorrectly it can cause more harm than benefit in addition to that there are many points in the body where the use of tape is prohibited. A physical therapist after evaluation of your neck pain and trigger points can determine if you need kinesiology tape for your condition or not
There is a specific method for applying
This is how you use kinesiology tape to decrease spasm and trigger points in your upper shoulders and neck:
- Set in a comfortable position and expose your shoulders and neck
- Cut one lift strip of almost three to four inches long for each side of your neck
- Remove the paper backing from the center of each strip so it looks like a bandage and both ends still have the paper backing on that’s why it is also called a bandage
- Stretch the tape 100% and place it directly over the trigger point in your shoulder area or the neck now remove the backing from both sides of the lift strip and place it on your skin with no stretch applied
- The final step is to gently rub the tape so that the heat helps to stick the tape better to the skin.
Come to have your therapy